If your occupation involves sitting for long periods at a time, you might notice your shoulders and neck start to feel really tight by the end of a day. Here are a few quick tips you can do during the work day to help relieve or reduce the amount of discomfort in those areas.
- Get up for a bit every 15 minutes or so. Go for a minute walk around the office, just stand up to move some files, get your printing, or go get a drink.
- Adjust your seat height so you can comfortably rest your elbows on the desk, without having the shoulder rise up towards the ears.
- Sneak in a few gentle neck stretches while sitting in between paragraphs or number crunching.
- Try some shoulder shrugs – make sure to squeeze your shoulder blades together as you shrug.
- Bring the keyboard, phone or mouse a bit closer to your body so that you aren’t reaching when using them.
- Sit upright in your chair – ears over your shoulders over your hips. Do not lean forwards to read your screen or slouch to do so.