Push-Up Muscular Endurance Assessment
CAUTION: If you have high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg), lower back issues, hip issues, etc. DO NOT perform this test prior to receiving medical clearance to do so. Information provided solely as a reference and should not be performed without proper training or certification.
- Exercise mat.
- Perform one or 2 push-ups to get used to the technique and to warm-up your core, upper body muscles.
- Standard for women – bent-knee position.
- Standard for men – on toes position.
- Hands are shoulder width apart and in line with the shoulders (thumbs beside deltoids). Feet or knees are maximum hip width apart.
- The push up is complete when the chest touches the fist of the partner (or equivalent) and returns to the start position with arm fully extended.
- Exhale on effort.
- Count the total number of push-ups performed before reaching exhaustion.
- No time limit.
- Score is the total number of push-ups performed.
- Record number of push-ups ________
- Rate upper body muscle endurance using the chart below.