Sit & Reach A (Box Version) Assessment
CAUTION: If you have high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg), lower back issues, hip issues, etc. DO NOT perform this test prior to receiving medical clearance to do so. Information provided solely as a reference and should not be performed without proper training or certification.
- Standard Sit-and-Reach box. Feet at 15 inch measurement mark.
- Do some light cardiovascular activity to warm up the leg muscles. You will need to stretch out the hamstring and low back muscles before you begin this test.
- Perform the modified hurdler stretch for 20 seconds on each leg. Repeat a second time.
- Remove shoes and sit facing the flex box with your knees fully extended and your feet position at the edges of the box. Feet should be flat against the box – heels and toes touching.
- Reach as far forward as possible, palms down and one hand placed on top of the other. Hold the position of maximum reach for 2 seconds. Keep the legs straight at all times.
- Repeat the assessment and the score is the most distant point reached with the fingertips and measured to the nearest quarter-inch.
- Record best flexion distance ________ inches (nearest 1/4 inch).
- Rate forward flexion distance using the chart below.
Table: Sit & Reach using Forward Flexion Box (feet at 15 inches)