Cardiovascular Fitness Assessment Protocol
CAUTION: If you have high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg), lower back issues, hip issues, neck issues, etc. DO NOT perform this test prior to receiving medical clearance to do so. Information provided solely as a reference and should not be performed without proper training or certification.
1 Mile Submaximal VO2max Prediction Assessment (aka 1.6km) WALK
- Dress in appropriate attire
- Have a watch to record duration (or use time on treadmill)
- Know how to measure pulse or use HR monitor
- Know weight before starting test
- Client must be able to complete the one mile (1.6km) WALK as quickly as possible as the exercise heart rate must be greater than 120 beats per minute
- Know the max training HR is for client (ensure they do not exceed). MaxHR Method is 220-AGE and no more than 85% of this max.
The One Mile (1.6km) WALK Protocol
- Stopwatch or treadmill with timer
- Body weight in pounds or convert (1kg = 2.2 lbs)
- Heart Rate Monitor if available
- Warm up before starting the test – walking, light jogging, and light stretching.
- Complete the walk as quickly as possible. Walk a pace that is both brisk and comfortable and raise HR over 120 beats per minute.
- As soon as the distance is complete, immediately record the time to complete and final pulse.
- Walking Time: ___________ min. _______ sec.
- Pulse rate: ___________ bpm.
- Convert your walking time from minutes and seconds to a decimal figure. For example, a time of 14 minutes and 45 seconds would be 14 + (45/60), or 14.75 minutes.
- Walking Time: ___________ min + ( _______ sec / 60) = _____________ min
- Insert values for age, gender, weight, walking time, and exercise heart rate in the following equation, where:
- W = your weight in pounds
- A = your age (in years)
- G = your gender (male = 1; female = 0)
- T = your time to complete the 1-mile course (in minutes)
- H = your exercise heart rate (in bpm)
FORMULA:VO2 max = 132.853 – (0.0769 x W) – (0.3877 x A) + (6.315 x G) – (3.2649 x T) – (.01565 x H)
Example: A 20 yr. old, 190 lb. male with a time of 14.75 minutes and an exercise heart rate of 152 bpm would calculate aerobic capacity as follows:
VO2 max = 132.853 – (0.0769 x 190 ) – (0.3877 x 20) + (6.315 x 1) – (3.2649 x 14.75 ) – (.01565 x 152 ) = 45 ml / kg / min
Find your aerobic capacity or VO2 max ranking in the chart below: